- cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (gluten-free)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce or jarred
- part skim ricotta cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish the meatballs with fresh basil leaves and serve with ricotta or grated cheese if desired.
We found this delicious recipe at skinnytaste.com.