Whole Food Lentil & Quinoa Breakfast Patties
- 2 1/2 cup lentils, soaked and cooked—start with 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked and cooked—start with 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tbsp ground golden flax
- 1 1/2 tsp fine ground sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seed, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp sucanat
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh marjoram, chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (feel free to add more to taste if you like more heat)
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tsp virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil
- Cook your lentils and quinoa and set aside. You can also prepare them both a day or two before and just keep in the fridge in an airtight glass container until you are ready.
- Place 2 tsp coconut oil in pan and heat to medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and carrots and brown for about 10-15 minutes.
- While your veggies are cooking, prepare your spaces and herbs and set aside when chopped.
- Mix salt, paprika, garlic, fennel, sucanat, sage, marjoram, red pepper and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Once your carrots and onion are browned, place them, your flax and your spices in the food processor and add your cooked quinoa and cooked lentils.
- Pulse in the food processor just enough to break up the lentils, quinoa and veggies so they start to stick together—about 20 times max. Don’t over-process. You want to maintain the different colors and textures.
- Form into patties and place in a pan over medium heat and brown on each side.
- You can also just brown the mixture as crumbles (right) and use to replace sausage in many recipes.
We found this delicious recipe at www.yumuniverse.com.