Summer Corn Chowder
- • 6 Ears Fresh Sweet Corn, removed from the cob and cobs reserved for the stock
- • 1 Teaspoon Coconut Oil
- • Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- • 6 Cups Coconut Milk*
- • 2 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- • 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- • 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- • 1 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- • 2 Small Carrots, grated
- • 1 Cup Potatoes, diced
- • 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- • ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, or to taste
- • 1 Preheat the oven to 475º.
- • 2 On a baking sheet, toss the corn kernels with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the corn for 15-20 minutes or until the corn begins to caramelize in spots.
- • 3 Meanwhile, combine the corncobs into a large pot with 4 cups of the coconut milk and 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Bring the stock to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- • 4 Melt the coconut oil in a soup pot over high heat and add in the onion and pepper; sauté the vegetables for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add in the carrots and potatoes and cook for 1 minute longer; season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- • 5 Discard the corncobs from the stock and pour the stock in with the vegetables. Add in the corn, remaining 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 cup of vegetable broth, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- • 6 Ladle into soup bowls and serve!
- • *I used Silk brand unsweetened coconut milk that I found in the refrigerated section by the almond milk. This is much cheaper than buying a bunch of cans of coconut milk. The fat and calorie content is around the same as what you'd find in the "light" canned version.
- • *If you prefer, you can use half and half in place of the coconut milk.
fashionable foods http://fashionablefoods.com/