Southwestern Pulled Chicken with Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 14 1/2 ounces tomato puree or strained tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 dried chipotle pepper, rehydrated and de-seeded
- 6 Grain-Free Sandwich Rolls, sliced in half and toasted
- 1 1/2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded (about 1/4 of a large head or 1/2 pound)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Place the dried chipotle pepper in a small bowl of boiling water to re-hydrate it for approximately 20 minutes. Cut the side of the pepper and with a spoon, scrape out the seeds.
- Put the chicken in a 6-quart slow cooker. Scatter the onion over the chicken.
- In a small blender, combine the tomato puree, vinegar, liquid smoke, garlic, coconut sugar, coriander, cumin, chili powder, and the re-hydrated chipotle pepper. Blend on low for for 30 seconds and high for 15 seconds until smooth. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on low until the chicken thighs are easily pierced with a fork, about 7-8 hours. Using two forks, shred the chicken.
- Meanwhile, make the Cilantro Lime Slaw. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, and sea salt. Add the cabbage, carrot, and cilantro, and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes in advance and up to 1 day. Note that the cabbage will soften and wilt the longer it sits.
- To serve, put the bottom halves of the sandwich rolls on 6 plates. Divide the shredded chicken among the buns, arrange the avocado slices over the chicken, top with a spoonful of slaw and place the other half of the roll on top. Serve with 1/2 cup Cilantro Lime Slaw alongside each sandwich.
We found this delicious recipe at www.againstallgrain.com.