We understand that every parent’s priority is the overall health and wellness of their developing child. As a parent it is important to remember that obstructive sleep apnea does not have age boundaries. It is a common condition in childhood and, when left untreated, it can result in severe complications including:
- Delayed development
- Impaired intelligence
- Dysfunction of the nervous system
- Memory loss and depression
- Weight gain and obesity
Sleep apnea can also result in behavioral issues related to:
- Decreased performance/learning problems in school
- Social isolation, withdrawal
Monitoring Your Child
- Does your child wake in the morning in the same position they went to sleep in?
- In the morning, are your child’s bed sheets nicely placed or strewn all about the bed?
- Does your child have dark circles under their eyes?
- Does your child seem inattentive?
- Does your child grind their teeth at night?
In addition to snoring, symptoms may include:
- Tooth grinding
- Mouth breathing
- Restlessness during sleep
- Sleeping in odd positions
- Periods of not breathing
- Night terrors
- Recurrent ear infections
- Night sweats
- Mood changes
- Poor concentration
- Bed wetting
- Frequent infections
Learn more about how proper treatment of OSA in children can impact your family. The most current literature tells us that any child with tooth grinding (bruxism) should have a proper sleep evaluation.
Let Us Help!
If jaw pain, facial pain, or sleep disorders plague you, let us help! The TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre has a treatment that will provide relief. From laser therapy and physical therapy to airway pressure machines and orthotic appliances, we will find a way to help you live your best life.
For more information, please call 574-203-5599