- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups salsa (I used Kirkland organic salsa from Costco)
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- 1-2 red peppers, chopped
- 1-2 ripe mangoes, chopped
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Start your brown rice in a pot on the stove, or in a rice maker. Next, add ground turkey and chopped onion to a large saute pan. Add garlic powder and salt and pepper. When the turkey is browned, add 4 cups of salsa. Bring the salsa to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, chop the cilantro, pepper, avocado, and mango. When the rice is done, simply stir in almost all of the fresh cilantro, leaving just enough to garnish each dish.
- I served each person with the rice and meat already on the plate, and everybody had fun adding their own toppings. Kids always like to feel that they "made" their own dinner!
- I'd recommend serving this with a nice big green salad on the side.
- *Also, the recipe above made enough for our family of five to have leftovers the next day. If you are cooking for a smaller family, just chop one avocado, pepper, and mango. You can also make less rice and only 1 lb. of turkey. If you do this, reduce the salsa used to only 2-3 cups.
Full Recipe: http://wholeandfree.blogspot.com