GF Chicken Enchiladas Verde Recipe
- 1½ pounds tomatillos
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 2 large poblano chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt & Pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 12 ounce Queso Fresco or Monterey Jack Cheese (or dairy free)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 ears corn, shucked or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 4 large organic, cage free eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Gluten free, non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and cut into quarters. Cut the onion into wedges. Cut the poblano and jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins. Peel the garlic cloves but leave whole.
- Place the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat the vegetables well and bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Place the vegetables into a blender along with any juices that have accumulated in the pan. Add the cilantro and blend until smooth.
- Crumble or shred the cheese, reserving about ½ cup for garnishing the top and toss with the cooked chicken and 1½ cups of the salsa verde.
- Cut the kernels from the corn cobs and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Add the eggs, 2 tablespoons water, ground cumin and ½ teaspoon of salt and blend. Pour the egg mixture into a bowl and stir until the foam dissipates.
- Heat a small (6 inch) non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles immediately. Spray the pan with some cooking spray and ladle in 2 tablespoons of the egg batter, immediately tilting and rotating the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute or until the mixture is set and the bottom is golden brown. Gently flip the tortilla over and cook for 1 more minute. Continue with the rest of the batter, you should have 12 tortillas.
- Place some of the chicken mixture on a tortilla and roll.
- Place the enchiladas in a 9 inch by 12 inch baking dish, seam side down and heat in the oven for 15 minutes or until warmed through. Heat the remaining salsa verde in a small sauce pan.
- To serve, place some warmed sauce over the enchiladas and top with the reserved cheese.
We found this delicious recipe at www.simplygluten-free.com.