Have you suffered from whiplash? Do you deal with anxiety or stress? Is clenching or grinding your teeth an everyday occurrence? Conditions like these can increase your risk of temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMD. TMD arises when there is a problem with the fit between the top and bottom teeth, your jaw joint or the facial muscles associated with chewing and jaw movement.
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) acts like a hinge, connecting the lower jaw (or mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull, which is the bone in front of the ears.
Do Any of These Symptoms Sound Familiar?
TMD comes with a host of symptoms that can affect the jaw, facial muscles, and ears. Here is a list of common issues that TMD patients suffer with:
- Pain or tenderness in and around the jaw, face, neck and shoulders, and ear when patient chews, speaks or opens mouth
- Clicking or popping sound from jaw joint when patient opens or closes mouth
- Face often feels tired
- Bottom and top teeth not fitting together properly
- Jaw gets stuck or locked open or closed
What Causes TMD?
There are a variety of risk factors that present in patients with TMD. However, it is often difficult to determine what causes the disorder. Risk factors include:
- Misaligned bite
- Injury to the jaw or temporomandibular joint
- Injury to the head or neck such as in the case of whiplash
- Long-term clenching or grinding teeth
- Depression, anxiety, stress
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
If left untreated, TMD will only get worse. It’s common for people suffering with TMD symptoms to feel like they have to live with the pain, but not treating the disorder can make things worse.
At TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre, we diagnose and treat TMD patients in Granger, IN and the surrounding area so that you can live without jaw pain. Call our office today to schedule a consultation.